Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dr. Kapasula's 'Single Ladies'


(Esty. "Vintage 50's Junior Cotton Pin Pleat Dress". October 22, 2009. Flickr March 2009.)

Dr. Kapasula's lecture can be summed into one word. Passion. She was one of the most passionate speakers EC has proved us with so far, not to say that the other lectures lacked just that Dr. Kapasula's raised the bar to a new level of energy. I must say however that her energy sometimes lost me as she talked about the feminist views of Beyonce's 'Single Ladies' more. Personally I thought the lecture's points were somewhat different then my own opinion which caused me to have to focus more on Kapasula's points and reasons. Originally I had simply thought that Beyonce's song was just something with a beat and a silly dance to go with it. As far as the meaning to it, I assumed that it was a positive one for women as Beyonce talked about how much stronger she had become after leaving her last relationship; or so I had thought. Quickly the topic of 'Single Ladies' became how it was negative to women as they make it seem like they need someone and need a ring which can be taken as a symbol of old-world male rule. She also went into problems within the structure of marriage and gave examples of other forms of wedding bonds.
An orderly idea such as marriage can give way to chaos to those under unequal pressures. Similarly, a chaotic outlook of non-boarded social agreement to the shared rights of two individuals can cause a break down of personal and societal meaning. As for The Burial at Thebes, The tension between the genders can be seen in Antigone and Creon. Creon being the order of man over woman and Antigone (although a symbolist of individual over state) is the women who defies man and ultimately dies.

2 comments:

  1. Your right she was very passionate during her lecture. She would sometimes get into it so much that I had trouble understanding her and following along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well. I also at first just judged the song on a surface level. But, after her alternative analysis I am reminded I need to be critical of everything

    ReplyDelete