Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Prof. Lovett's lecture

Prof. Lovett's lecture on the brain expressed the amazing amounts of a person as we know it stored in the relatively small form of the brain. The brain and the way it works has always been a bit of a weird space in my thoughts since I was very young, for it is odd to believe that all anyone really is is a gross gray thing lumped up inside one's head. The 10% myth that Prof. Lovett discussed I must admit was not a shock to be because of my own understanding (however limited) of the brain. What was a shocking topic that Prof. Lovett discussed was the young man that had a very bad case of obsessive compulsive. It was so over whelming that the man dropped out of college and tried to kill himself by shooting himself in the head with a .22. His suicide failed but the bullet placed itself in the lower center part of his brain and thus stopped the brain's over compulsive nature. The man even went back to college later on and gained a job after.
It is mind boggling thing, the brain. No matter how many times I learn and relearn facts about it, I always come back to the question of whether a brain is really what I am. In terms of the class I think the order is the brain itself, and the chaos is me thinking about the brain. It is like trying to look at one's own nose without a mirror.

(image to come)

1 comment:

  1. That story about the college kid with extreme OCD was pretty cool. I think its interesting that you can change your personality and behaviors by distorting different parts of your brain.

    ReplyDelete